Whether you’re planning a family vacation, a weekend getaway, or simply a visit to grandparents’, you need to keep your baby’s comfort in mind. No matter how much of a ‘happy baby’ you’ve got, when they’re sleepy and don’t get a comfortable place to sleep, they’ll be not-so-happy, and traveling with a cranky baby is every parents’ worst nightmare.
A baby is a baby – they want what they want. They’re too small to register where they are or what is going on around them. However, one thing that they’ll know for sure is when their comfort is disturbed, and that is something that no baby likes.
One way to ensure that your baby gets their sleep and that their comfort isn’t compromised on is to invest in a good portable crib. Not only will it serve as a temporary cot for the baby wherever you go, but it’ll also save you the hassle of having to keep your sleeping angel on your lap all the time.
Now that we’re in agreement that a portable crib is a necessity when you’re traveling with a baby, you may want to know what the best portable crib to invest in is. well, you need not fret. You’ve come to just the right place. This detailed blog post lists down some of the best portable cribs that you can look into investing in for your baby. Let’s get into it without any further ado.
What To Look For In The Portable Crib For Baby?
The only way to make the right choice when it comes to a portable baby crib is to know what features to look for. Without that knowledge, you might not be able to do it right. Before we move onto our list of best portable cribs, let’s first look at the features that a portable baby crib must-have.
Size and Weight
The first thing to look for in a portable baby crib is the size and weight. Being a portable crib, these two factors are a prerequisite. The crib must be small in size and light in weight. A crib that is too heavy or too big isn’t portable after all, is it? A portable crib for a baby must be only big enough to fit in your car’s trunk and light enough for you to carry. If it’s not, it certainly isn’t the best option.
You can’t compromise on your baby’s safety. It’s the utmost important factor that you must not overlook in any case. Before you invest in any baby crib, you must check its safety features thoroughly. The side mesh should be breathable, and the surface should be firm yet comfortable. Make sure that none of the components of the crib contain any heavy chemicals, lead, or flame retardants. Moreover, don’t forget to check the weight limit and be sure that the crib you’re planning to buy is suitable for your baby’s weight.
You certainly wouldn’t want to spend hours trying to assemble the crib. A portable baby crib must be easy to assemble and disassemble. Ease of use is an important consideration when choosing a crib to carry with you during your travels. Also, see if it comes with a travel bag. If the crib isn’t user-friendly, the entire concept of a portable crib will be moot then and there. A portable crib is supposed to make traveling easier and fun and not the opposite.
You would want your baby to feel comfortable in their crib, and therefore, you must ensure that the crib delivers maximum comfort. The surface must be soft and padded so that your baby can sleep peacefully and comfortably.
Removable Crib Cover
Not many people pay attention to whether the crib cover is removable or not. If you travel frequently, you may want to consider a crib with removable covers so that you can wash them every now and then. The cover should be removable and machine-washable.
Every portable crib comes with different specifications. Some cribs are suitable for newborns only, while some come with a wider age range (newborn to up to 3 years). Invest in a crib that can be used for the longest. You wouldn’t want to get a new portable crib every year, so make sure you make a one-time investment that goes a long way.
Price matters, of course. Different cribs come with different features and hence, are priced differently, too. Look for a portable crib that offers the most features in your budget. It’ll require a little looking around, but you’ll surely find a reasonable crib that meets your requirements. Some cribs are priced extremely high, owing to the presence of certain extra features that lower-priced cribs don’t have. If you require those features in your baby’s crib, you can get an expensive one for sure. It’s always better to match the features with your requirements and then make a decision.
Best Portable Crib
Now that you know what exactly you should be looking for in a portable crib for your baby, let’s move onto our selection of the best portable cribs.
1) Graco Pack ‘n Play On the Go Playard
Are you looking for the best travel crib that doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg? If yes, then Graco Pack ‘n Play is the right one for you. Simple, sturdy, and portable – all that you would want in a travel crib for a baby.
- Reach through bassinet folds with your playpen for quick...
- Folding feet and wheels allow for a 20% more compact fold...
- Removable, full-size bassinet provides the perfect spot for...
- Toy bar Features soft toys to amuse your little one.
- Signature Graco push-button fold makes closing your playard...
Featuring a simple push-button for folding and unfolding, the Graco Pack ‘n Play is one of the easiest and most user-friendly portable cribs. It’s highly durable and will stand the test of time. It’s not just a crib but offers a roomy play area for your baby as well. It features a removable, full-size bassinet that is perfect for babies weighing up to 15 pounds. One of the most noteworthy features is the toy bar. You can rest assured that your kid won’t be bored. Comfort and amusement go side by side with the Graco Pack ‘n Play On the Go Playard.
Weight: 18.5 pounds
Dimensions: 40 x 28.5 x 29 inches
- Easily to fold
- Wheels add to its portability
- Extremely sturdy and durable
- A toy bar is present to keep a child entertained
- Comes with a carry bag
- The mattress is quite thin, according to user feedback
- Doesn’t support the addition of any accessories like changing station
Our rating: 4.8 / 5
2) BabyBjörn Travel Crib
The second on our list of the best portable cribs are the BabyBjörn Travel Crib. It’s the perfect combination of good aesthetics, good comfort, and good durability. In short, it’s a complete package.
- Simple to set up and fold up
- Easy to take with you
- Soft and comfy mattress. Mattress is High-resilient PU foam
- Airy design for good supervision
- Removable and machine washable crib textiles
It is suitable for newborns and can be used for as long as your kid is small enough to stay inside and doesn’t climb out, making it the best option in terms of value for money. The BabyBjörn Travel Crib features a soft and comfortable mattress that keeps your baby comfortable. It’s highly portable, so much so that you can even adjust it in the overhead compartment. If you’re looking for a travel crib for your baby to make traveling more fun for both yourself and the baby, the BabyBjörn Travel Crib is what you should get.
Weight: 13.2 pounds
Dimensions: 32 x 44 x 25 inches
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Comes with a compact carry bag
- Features a comfortable mattress
- Can be used for newborns for up to 3 years of age or even more
- Doesn’t fit into a suitcase
- Doesn’t come with mattress sheets
Our rating: 4.7 / 5
3) 4moms Breeze Go Playard
If you’re on the lookout for a travel crib that is super-easy and quick to set up, the 4moms Breeze Go Playard is the one for you. Folding and unfolding is as quick as a breeze. You simply push at the center, and it opens. To fold it, all you’ve got to do is pull the center loop, and that’s it!
- One push open, one pull close
- Easy, one-handed set up and take down
- Great for travel or moving around the house
- Water-resistant playard mattress
- Streamlined, airy design provides clear views of your little...
The 4moms Breeze Go Playard features a removable bassinet that provides a large play area during the day and ample sleeping space during the night. It’s ideal for active travelers as it folds into a highly compact form that you can carry easily.
Weight: 23 pounds
Dimensions: 43 x 30 x 29 inches
- Super quick and easy setup
- Highly portable
- Comes with a travel-friendly bag
- Airy design
- Waterproof mattress
- Multipurpose (Playard and bed)
- Not very light in weight
- Doesn’t come with a mattress sheet
Our rating: 4.6 / 5
4) BRICA Fold N’ Go Travel Bassinet
For parents who want something that would keep their baby safe and comfortable wherever they go, the BRICA Fold N’ Go is a great option. It’s safe, secure, sturdy, and super comfortable, ensuring that your kid is having the best time, whether awake or asleep.
- Safe, durable, lightweight travel pod for...
- Breathable mesh panels, removable and locking steel frame...
- Folds flat for storage and weighs less than 3 lbs. for easy...
- Assembled dimensions: 30” x 21.25” x...
- Discontinue use once infant begins to push up on hands and...
- Care and cleaning: spot or wipe clean; sheets are machine...
The BRICA Fold N’ Go has a lockable frame that ensures the bassinet doesn’t collapse over the baby. Moreover, the side mesh panels are breathable that keep the crib well ventilated for the baby. It folds into a compact form that you can conveniently carry in your suitcase. It’s one of the lightest portable cribs that you’ll find in the market.
Weight: 2.45 pounds
Dimensions: 30 x 11.75 x 21.25 inches
- Extremely lightweight
- Highly portable
- Comes with a carry bag
- Easy to fold and unfold
- Safe and secure
- Features a full-size, removable bassinet
- Can only be used for up to 3 months
- Can’t be kept on any elevated surface. It has to be placed on the floor only
Our rating: 4.5 / 5
5) Phil and Teds Travel Crib
If you’ve to move around a lot with a baby, a travel crib is a must-have. If you’re looking for one, look no further. Phil and Teds Travel Crib is on our list of the best portable cribs for all the right reasons.
- LIGHT & SUPER COMPACT FOR TRAVEL - at only 6lbs its lighter...
- INSIDE/OUTSIDE USE - at home, at the beach, waiting for the...
- OKEO-TEX CERTIFIED FABRICS - so gentle on baby's skin
- FULLY BREATHABLE - mesh sides & easy open/close zippers
- EASY SET UP - with self-inflating mattress & fitted sheet...
- ULTRA PORTABLE - rolls up to the size of a yoga mat & fits...
It’s extremely light in weight and can be rolled just like you would roll a yoga mat, making it highly portable. The Phil and Teds portable crib keeps your baby’s comfort well into consideration. It comes with a soft, self-inflating mattress. A fitted sheet for the mattress is included in the package. The best thing about this crib is that it meets all the safety standards, so you can rest assured that your baby won’t be harmed in any way. It’s priced well in between being a budget-friendly crib and an expensive one. If portability and lightweight are your utmost priority, the Phil and Teds Travel Crib is the best option out there.
Weight: 6 pounds
Dimensions: 31 x 24.8 x 46 inches
- Extremely light in weight
- Highly portable
- Meets all safety standards
- Comes with a travel bag
- Comes with a soft mattress and a mattress sheet
- Features a UV top
- Good value for money. Can be used for kids up to 2 years
- It’s price falls more on the expensive side
- Requires more assembly
- Not sturdy enough
Our rating: 4.3 / 5
A portable crib for a baby should be light in weight and easy to carry before anything else. Traveling with a baby is a challenge in itself, and you can’t afford to travel with baby gear that makes it all more challenging. Our list of the best portable cribs features some of the best travel cribs, keeping in view all the essential features that the best portable crib must-have. Now that everything is in front of you in black and white pick a travel crib that best suits your needs and make sure your baby stays happy during the next trip that you’re planning. After all, a happy baby means happy parents!