Outdoor events can be very exciting. But no matter how pumped up you may feel, at some point or another, you will want to sit down and rest. This is where a portable stool comes in really handy.
A travel-friendly compact stool can provide you with a comfortable sitting experience even when you cannot bring your favorite recliner along with you.
Currently, the market is brimming with portable seats in all kinds of designs, shapes, and sizes you can possibly imagine. Needless to say though, not all of them fit the bill for a comfortable, on-the-go seating solution.
To help you decide which compact stools are worth spending money on, we have rounded the 7 bestselling products below. If you still have trouble picking the one that’s right for you, take a look at the brief buying guide below.
What to Look For in a Portable Stool
Consider the following features when deciding which portable seat is best suited for your planned activities.
While there are numerous items sold under the label, remember that the real ‘portability’ majorly comes down to your idea of a transportable seat. For some users, a considerably heavy, high-end folding wooden chair may still pass as portable. Others may be looking for something that even their 5-year old can carry without difficulty. As a general rule of thumb, portable seats that come under 5 lbs. are good for all traveling purposes.
Make sure that the stool you pick is made from a material that can withstand harsh outdoor weather conditions. Camping seat fabrics are usually made of 600D polyester or 1000D nylon. Nylon or polyester seats are ideal in the sense that they are water and tear-resistant. The base should be made from aluminum or stainless steel as it does not corrode and, thus, ensures durability.
When buying a compact stool, always check its weight holding capacity along with the weight of the item itself. Most units support an average of 250-300 lbs. If there are any heavyweight friends or family members who may be using the seat, it’s better to go for ones that can bear up to 400 lbs. or more.
A portable seat should fold down to a neat small size so that you can carry it around easily. Some units are rather large to seat the user comfortably. But their bulkiness often beats their portability.
Adjustable height, non-slip base, carry bags/ straps, and storage compartment, such as cup holders can take the functionality of a portable seat to a whole new level. You might want to look for these extra features if you wish to get the best bang for your buck.
7 Best Portable Stools
1) Acko Folding Step Stool
If you prefer the look of traditional stools, look no further than the Acko Folding Step Stool. Made from premium-grade plastic, this portable seat is suitable for young and elderly users alike. You can carry it along on recreational trips or even use it for household purposes. Its low seat height makes it a great step stool for kids in bathroom and kitchen.
The stool is available in five colors and has a textured seat to avoid slippage.
Dimensions: 11.5 x 8.5 x 13 inches
- Multipurpose stool for indoor sitting
- Space-saving foldable design
- Side boards provide stronger bearing capacity
- Has an anti-skid footpad
- In-built ergonomic handle makes for easy carriage
- Maximum hold capacity of 300 lbs.
- Comes in a range of exciting colors
- Made of plastic
- Seat height is relatively lower
- Only for use on flat and dry surface
Our rating: 4.8 / 5
2) KingCamp Slacker Chair
The KingCamp Slacker Chair offers superior comfort at a very reasonable price. It is quite possibly the best portable stool for camping. And rightly so.
It’s strong and durable, thanks to its rugged steel base with solid joint reinforcement. The stool is fitted with high-quality 1200D Oxford fabric that allows it to support more than 300 lbs. without tearing at the seams. Its quadpod design prevents it from folding under pressure or splaying under max load even if you stand over it.
Dimensions: 14.9 x 4.7 x 4.7 inches
- Sturdy steel frame with 1200D Oxford fabric
- Supports up to 330 lbs.
- Weighs only 1.4 lbs.
- Easy to use – no assembly required
- Comes with a carry bag
- Includes side pockets for storing small items
- Available in three different colors
- No back support
- Not very space spacing
- Low height may not be comfortable for some users
Our rating: 4.5 / 5
3) Bright Star Multifunction Portable Backpack Stool
Looking for an outdoor gear that can seat you comfortably and hold your essential items at the same time? If that’s the case, then this Portable Backpack Stool is the perfect choice to consider.
It features a unique design that converts from a lightweight backpack to a mini stool chair within seconds. What’s more, the storage compartment has a built-in cooler bag for drinks and snacks. You can even use it to keep your food, such as soup, warm.
Dimensions: 17.32 x 14.17 x 12.20 inches
- 3-in-1 seat, backpack, and cooler
- Easy to fold and unfold
- Can support a load of up to 330 lbs.
- Made of long-lasting material that is not easily ripped
- Waterproof, wear-resistant, and non-slip
- Lots of pockets offer ample storage space
- Integrated insulation bag keeps your snacks and drinks at the right temperature
- A bit pricey
- Might be a bit heavy to carry (weighs 3.3 lbs.)
Our rating: 4.4 / 5
4) RedCamp 2-Pack Portable Tripod Stools
The RedCamp Portable Tripod Stool is a highly versatile compact stool. You can use it sit back and relax while camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, barbequing or having any other outdoorsy fun.
The seat is made of double layer 600D Oxford PVC coated fabric that ensures breathability and comfort during extended use. Thick steel tubes used for the support provide unmatched stability. Therefore, despite the lack of back support, you are unlikely to fall from it accidentally.
Dimensions: 13 x 14 x 17 inches
- Solid steel frame
- Folds up like a newspaper
- Easy to set up and carry
- Weighs only 2 lbs.
- Can hold up to 225 lbs.
- Large, anti-slip rubber feet
- 100% moneyback guarantee
- Comes in a package of two seats
- Mesh side pockets provide handy storage for personal items
- Does not have a backseat
- Relatively lesser weight hold capacity
Our rating: 4.4 / 5
5) GT Tech Collapsible Step Stool
The GT Tech Collapsible Step Stool is, undoubtedly, one of the most popular portable seats on the market right now. Featuring a sleek and modern design, it has a fully retractable construction.
The telescopic body consists of a total of 120 folding segments. There is an ingenious buckle system to lock the stool at your desired height. The flexible design makes it suitable for a wide range of both indoor and outdoor applications. It’s perfect for beach trips because unlike tripod stools, its wide base won’t sink in the sand.
Dimensions: 10.39 x 10.31 x 2.83 inches
- Multi-purpose utility stool
- Extremely lightweight
- Compact design
- High durability
- Supports weight up to 330 lbs.
- Built-in shoulder strap for ease in carrying
- Suitable for kids and adults alike
- Adjustable height from 2.4 to 18 inches
- Available in only black color
- Twist-and-pull style makes it a bit hard to open
- 330 lbs weight limit is really the limit. If you are near 300 lbs, I would suggest looking for an alternative
Our rating: 4.2 / 5
6) Stansport Folding Camp Stool
Things can’t get more basic than the Stansport Folding Camp Stool. Weighing in at only 1.15 lbs., you can take it almost anywhere with you with ease. It can safely seat most users given its powder-coated aluminum frame and heavy duty fabric seat.
The minimalist design means you can conveniently fit in your car’s trunk. Or tuck it away in a corner of your cupboard when not in use.
Dimensions: 12.38 x 15.5 x 20 inches
- Features strong aluminum frame
- Tear-resistant fabric seat
- Exceptionally lightweight
- Folds flat for easy storage
- Ideal for outdoor sporting events
- Seat height of 14 inches
- Height is not adjustable
- Not available in multiple colors
- A bit expensive for a basic portable seat
Our rating: 4.1 / 5
7) SitGo Portable Seat
Standing for long periods of time can lead to various health problems like back ache, joint pain, and even varicose veins. With SitGo Portable Seat, you can effectively avoid it all.
It’s the perfect companion for backpacking, sporting events, amusement parks, concerts, and virtually any other place that requires standing or waiting in queues for long time periods.
Note that it’s far from a plush couch or even a comfortable chair for that matter. But with its unique shape, this folding lean-to stool provides a good solution for getting off your feet whenever you want.
Dimensions: 9.7 x 3.8 x 2.7 inches
- Small and lightweight
- Folds to the size of a water bottle
- Holds up to 300 lbs.
- Solid rubber non-slip base
- Durable plastic frame
- Easy to fold and unfold
- Adjustable lengths from 25 to 33 inches
- Not suitable for those with balance issues
- Not a seat per se – it only provides an adjustable way to rest while standing
Our rating: 4.0 / 5
Whether you are packing your gear for hiking, camping, fishing, or anything of the sort, a portable stool is one of the must-have items for outdoor activities for practical reasons. With all the aforementioned information and portable seat reviews, we hope you found a compact stool to your liking.