When it comes to making clean and accurate cuts through wood, plastic, plaster, or even metal, a jigsaw is a must-have. This handy tool can help you complete various projects both in and outside of your workshop. However, if you have used a jigsaw before, you’d probably know how annoyingly loud it can get during operation. This is why it’s important to look for the best quiet jigsaw.
Whether you are a professional tradesperson or just an avid hobbyist, no one likes working with noisy tools. But with the variety of low noise jigsaws available in the market, finding the one that is right for you can be quite a confusing task. However, there’s no need to worry because we have done most of the leg work for you.
We searched the internet for the best quiet jigsaws and have listed them down in this article for you to review. But before you look into the options, it’s essential to know what type of jigsaw will work best for you.
Table of Contents
- What to Look for in a Quiet Jigsaw?
- Comparison Table
- Best Quiet Jigsaws
- Ending Note
Read the following section to find out.
What to Look for in a Quiet Jigsaw?
There are two main types of quiet jigsaws to choose from: corded and cordless. Corded jigsaws generally have a high power rating and can handle aggressive sawing. Cordless jigsaws, on the other hand, offer greater portability and maneuverability as compared to their corded counterparts. But they typically provide less power and need constant charging for extended work.
It goes without saying that the higher the motor power, the better cutting performance your jigsaw can deliver. Cordless jigsaws typically feature a 5 – 6 amp motor, which is suitable for cutting through wood, plaster, and the likes. If you need to saw more sturdy materials such as marble slabs, try to go for a corded jigsaw with about a 7 amp motor instead.
When looking for the best quiet jigsaw, it’s important to remember that even the most silent jigsaw will not be completely silent per se. You should expect a faint buzz or dull grinding sound from even the quietest jigsaw. However, anything more than a slight hum disqualifies the tool immediately. All products on this list are hailed by users for their low noise operation.
Another factor to consider is weight of the machine. You might be surprised, but some of these jigsaws weigh up to 10 pounds, while others sit at mere 4 pounds. This can be a huge difference in case you work a lot with these tools.
While it might not be the deal-breaking factor, it never hurts to get all the benefits a tool can provide along with it’s compact and lightweight design.
Best Quiet Jigsaws
Now that you know the main things to consider when buying a silent jigsaw, let’s take a look at some of the best quiet jigsaws available in the market these days.
1) Milwaukee M18 FUEL D-HANDLE Jig Saw Bare Tool
One of the best rated, powerful and cordless jigsaws on the market is also one of the quietest. Naturally, since it’s a jigsaw, it won’t be completely silent, but it’s still better than nothing.
This particular model does not produce over 88 decibels (measured at the machine). While generally, anything above 70 decibels can be considered loud, please note that some of these machines tend to generate 120 + decibels of noise. So, in that particular comparison, the Milwaukee M18 jigsaw is on the quieter side.
The weight is 5.75 pounds, which is quite lightweight in regard to competition. The M18 requires one lithium ion battery to run. The speed is adjustable and ranges between 0 and 3500 strokes per minute. The Redlink Plus Intelligence feature provides great performance and protects the device from overloading. Other great additions ar on/off blower, which keeps the cut line nice and clean from the debris and LED light.
- Quiet (among other jigsaws)
- Powerful and fast
- Overload protection technology
- Equipped with debris blower and LED light
- Milwaukee ships their tools in boxes described with model names – some users would prefer clean/non-described boxes to avoid potential theft
Our rating: 4.8 / 5
2) DeWALT Max Jig Saw DCS331M1
The DeWALT Max Jig Saw DCS331M1 deserves the 2nd top spot on our list of low noise jigsaws for a number of reasons. To begin with, it’s highly powerful and can help you cut through a range of materials. As such, it is suitable for various applications. The DeWALT Max is a cordless tool, which means users are not restricted in movement during operation. The jigsaw uses a 4.0 Ah lithium-ion battery at 20 V for guaranteed toughness. Moreover, it’s compact and lightweight and has an ergonomic handle to reduce the risk of strain with extensive use.
According to reviewers, the noise level doesn’t go over 85 decibels, measured at the machine. Its all-metal lever-action system ensures fast and efficient keyless blade change. The jigsaw kit comes with a set of 10 and 14 piece multipurpose blades that you can include in your purchase for a small additional cost. The motor has an impressive speed of 3,000 SPM and can make bevel cuts at 15, 30, and 45 degrees. Note that this power tool is slightly pricey. But the versatility and durability that it offers is well worth the extra expenditure.
Dimensions: 16 x 14.25 x 5.25 inches
- Multipurpose jigsaw with max cutting speed of 3,000 SPM
- Designed for comfort and stability
- Variable speed setting with 4-orbital adjustment
- Multiple bevel cut options for 0, 15, 30, and 45 degrees
- Best quiet jigsaw with a wireless assembly
- Battery-operated jigsaw, hence offers limited usage for extensive tasks
- Relatively expensive for an average buyer
Our rating: 4.8 / 5
3) Makita Orbital/Straight Cut Jigsaw
The Makita Orbital/Straight Cut Jigsaw is one of the best-selling low noise jigsaws, and it’s easy to see why. It can handle a variety of tasks and comes with a bunch of useful features that take its functionality to a whole new level.
For example, the electronic speed control dial allows for adjustments between the cuts, whereas the high-current motor helps you to effortlessly drive the blade even through dense materials like plaster. Although it’s a corded jigsaw, it has an 8-foot-long wire that provides ease of movement during work. What’s more, it consists of an adjustable shoe that makes it possible to make bevel cuts at 0 and 45 degrees along with a positive stop at 90 degrees. According to the manufacturer, the Makita Orbital jigsaw produces 40% less noise than the competition, but unfortunately, we weren’t able to measure exact decibel level.
Dimensions: 14.57 x 3.94 x 13.39 inches
- A versatile power tool for clean, straight cuts
- Three orbital setting ideal for steel and woodwork
- 3 Amp motor capable of delivering 1-inch deep strokes
- Built-in LED for improved visibility
- Integrated dust blower and soft start feature
- Speed adjustments between 800 and 2,800 SPM
- Tool-less blade replacement
- Stabilized motor housing provides virtually vibration-free operation
- Requires connection to the mains supply
- Relatively heavier than most low noise jigsaws
Our rating: 4.7 / 5
4) BLACK+DECKER Jigsaw BDEJS300C
With the motor being designed to deliver 3,000 strokes per minute, the Black+Decker BDEJS300C jigsaw is the best choice if you are looking for not just accurate work but premium comfort while dealing with tough operations. The jigsaw offers a stroke length of 0.75 inches. This makes it suitable for cutting through almost any type of material. Other features that make the Black+Decker jigsaw one of the best of its kind is the improved wire guard channel that provides more accuracy when cutting hard surfaces.
Thanks to its lightweight, it’s easy to shift the machine from one area of the workbench to another. The fixed handle at the top allows for smooth maneuverability and less vibration. It features a clamp that is used to remove the blade and a dust blower that automatically cleans up the work surface so that the user gets a clear vision during operation. This quiet jigsaw has a tilting base that offers a considerably wide degree for cutting. The machine can be used for making curved as well as straight cuts.
Dimensions: 11.5 x 3.44 x 9.25 inches
- Low-noise jigsaw with 4.5 amp motor
- Variable speed of up to 3,000 SPM
- Built-in dust blower
- Wire guard sightline channel improves visibility during operation
- Tilting base plate allows bevel cuts
- Tool-less blade change system (accepts U-shank and T-shank blades)
- Corded electric jigsaw
- Limited portability
Our rating: 4.7 / 5
5) BOSCH Power Tool Jigsaw JS470E
The BOSCH Jigsaw JS470E has many advanced features that give it an edge over competitor models. For one, it serves many functions of its high-priced alternatives but is still quite affordable. Perhaps the best part is its ambidextrous design that allows users to maintain a steady grip and feel more comfortable when working on challenging projects. It consists of a trigger that provides a good control to alter the speed of the blade for cutting tasks.
The T-shank blades provide a better grip on the surfaces, and the jigsaw has minimal vibration that ensures more accurate cuts. The Bosch Jigsaw delivers 3,100 strokes per minute and can be tuned for various applications. Its keyless blade change system with 4 in 1 orbital setting makes it safe to use as well. It does not require the hot surface to be touched during blade change because, with the ejection option, you can conveniently switch blades without contact.
This low noise jigsaw ranks high on performance. But the only drawback of this tool is that being a corded model, it requires connections to a power outlet.
However, in contrast to other jigsaws, it does not include an LED light.
Dimensions: 15.8 x 14.4 x 4.4 inches
- Lightweight, silent jigsaw
- Features 7 Amp motor to cut through sturdy materials
- Variable speed of 500 to 3,100 SPM
- Ambidextrous lock-on button for safety and comfort
- Four orbital-action provides different blade strokes for mild and aggressive cuts
- Integrated dust blower and hex wrench storage
- Quick and easy blade change unit
- Corded motor limits portability
- It does not come with extra blades
Our rating: 4.6 / 5
6) PORTER-CABLE PC600JS Orbital Jig Saw
It won’t be an exaggeration to say that the PORTER-CABLE Orbital Jig Saw can cut through almost anything. It has a 6 Amp motor that can operate at a maximum speed of 3,200 SPM. This makes the PORTER-CABLE jigsaw the most powerful jigsaw than all other models on this list. However, despite being such a heavy-duty tool, it produces nothing more than a faint humming sound during operation. And this makes it the most silent jigsaw of all.
Blade replacement in the PORTER-CABLE jigsaw is as easy as it gets. It features a keyless system, so you can switch to a different sawing style without having to fumble with the tools. The 4-position orbital lever offers smooth performance across all types of materials. This handheld power tool is suitable for cutting plywood, lumber, kitchen and bathroom countertops, and more.
Dimensions: 13 x 10 x 4 inches
- Lightweight and portable jigsaw
- Seven-level variable speed adjustment
- 6 Amp motors capable of delivering up to 3,200 strokes per minute
- It can be used to make slant cuts at 0, 15, 30, and 45 degrees
- Soft grip handle ensures maximum comfort during extended chores
- The lock-on button helps maintain stability during prolonged use
- Best quiet jigsaw for tough applications
- The cord is relatively shorter (6 ft), which can compromise maneuverability
- The blade lock system is not perfect
Our rating: 4.4 / 5
As we mentioned earlier, when finding the best quiet jigsaw, you need to consider many factors such as the motor power, bevel adjustment, speed drive, and type (corded vs. cordless), to name a few. The general rule of thumb is to opt for a corded jigsaw if you need to perform heavy duty sawing. However, for small home improvement tasks, a battery-powered low noise jigsaw is most likely to suffice.