The smallest dishwashers are growing in popularity and for good reason. They take up less space in tighter kitchens and they are convenient when people have fewer family members living in the home. People love to use dishwashers because they can clean dishes and flatware more thoroughly and the hot cycle helps to sanitize the dishes so that they are ready for future use.
When you look at the best small dishwashers, they are usually eighteen inches. They can be built-in or they can come as portable dishwashers. Built-in models are meant to be installed under your counter and they are integrated into your kitchen. Portable models are convenient if you don’t have a space already set up for a dishwasher or if you want to store your dishwasher and roll it out when you need it. There are advantages to both types and it is a matter of which works best for your needs.
Built-in Small Dishwashers
When you have a built-in dishwasher, it blends in with your kitchen. They are designed to go under the counter, normally near the sink. They don’t require extra floor space and they are usually quieter than portable options. Also, usually they have more insulation that helps to dull the noise.
If you don’t have a space for your dishwasher that is already set up, it can be expensive to install this type. You will need to have some remodeling work done to create a space. Dishwashers need to connect to a water supply and power so that they work. They also need to drain once they are finished running. If you are remodeling your kitchen or it is worth the expense, you can make it happen. There are many benefits to having the best small dishwasher, especially if you will be in your home long-term.
Portable Small Dishwashers
When you choose a portable compact dishwasher, you need to make sure that you have a place to keep it. You can find a place in your kitchen and you may be able to store it and roll it out when you need to use it. It will need to be close to the sink when it runs so it is critical to have the ability to move it next to the sink during use.
Although the portable version of the smallest dishwasher is convenient when you aren’t able to build one in, they are noisier than built-in models. Conversely, they are usually less expensive; also, if you are renting, you will be able to take it with you when you move. The reality is that for many people, the benefits outweigh the inconveniences because you will be able to use a dishwasher instead of washing all of your dishes by hand.
What to Consider
When you are looking at the best small dishwashers, there are factors that you should consider. This will help you narrow down your selection and choose the model that is best for you. You will want to look at the following:
- Size: Standard compact dishwashers are 18 inches. You need to make sure that this will work in your home.
- Capacity: The capacity is how much space is inside. Consider how many dishes will fit by looking at the racks and the layout of the interior.
- Cost: Normally, the smallest dishwashers are less expensive than standard ones. Portable models are usually less expensive than built-ins. Determine your budget before you shop.
- Cycles: Look at the various cycles offered by the dishwasher to ensure that it will meet your needs.
- Energy-Efficiency: Newer dishwashers are more energy-efficient, and they use less water and less power to run.
- Noise: Some compact dishwashers are rated for being quieter than others.
- Functionality: Make sure that the dishwasher has positive reviews for cleaning the dishes.
- Rack Size and Adjustability: When you examine the layout, see what size the racks are and whether they are adjustable so that you can fit a variety of dishes in the dishwasher.
- Looks: Dishwashers come in different styles and colors so find one that fits in with your kitchen.
Best Small Dishwashers
So without further ado, let’s see the list of the best smallest dishwashers currently available on the market.
1) Bosch SPX68U55UC 18-in 800 Series Dishwasher
This 18-inch dishwasher by Bosch is a top-of-the-line built-in compact dishwasher.
The dishwasher measures 22 x 18 x 45 inches and it weighs 74 pounds. It comes in stainless steel and it has a sleek, modern look. The controls are hidden in the top and it has an info light that projects a red dot on the floor to let you know when your dishwasher is running.
This dishwasher comes with three racks that offer three height levels for nine possible layouts. You have room to wash all of your dishes. It can hold up to ten place settings and there are six wash cycles, including half load. It is quiet at just 44 dB and it is Energy Star certified. This is one of the best small dishwashers out there.
- Sleek stainless steel design
- Rackmatic third rack for nine possible layouts
- Energy Star certification
- Low noise at 44 dB
- Red dot on floor to let you know when it’s running
- Hidden top control panel
- Buttons can wear off after use
- It may offer more features than some people need
Our rating: 4.7 / 5
2) EdgeStar BIDW1802SS 18-in Dishwasher
This EdgeStar 18” built-in dishwasher does a great job.
It measures 22.4 x 17.6 x 32.5 inches and it weighs 52.9 pounds. Edgestar comes in an attractive stainless steel design and there is a leakage sensor so it shuts off automatically if there is any leak detected. Your home will be protected from any water damage.
It has two pull-out racks, a cup tray, and a flatware basket. It can hold up to eight place settings. There are six wash cycles including heavy, normal, ECO, glass, rapid, and rinse. You also have three options: sanitize, high temperature, and heated dry.
This dishwasher is quiet at 52 dB and it has a sleek design. The digital push buttons are on the front and a buzzer sounds when the cycle ends. It is Energy Star certified.
- Sleek design, built-in dishwasher
- Two pullout racks, a cup tray, and a flatware basket
- Capacity of up to eight place settings
- Leak detection and automatic shutoff
- Three different dry options for all six cycles
- Some customers say that you need to remove debris from dishes before you put them in
Our rating: 4.6 / 5
3) EdgeStar DWP62SV Countertop Dishwasher
This EdgeStar countertop dishwasher is a great compact dishwasher.
It measures 19.6 x 21.6 x 17.3 inches and it weighs 44 pounds. It can sit perfectly next to your sink and it is silver. The dishwasher uses a quick connect adapter to fit most standard faucets and it comes with a five-foot drain hose that goes to the sink.
They warn not to use hand dish detergent or detergent pods or tabs as these items will cause the dishwasher to overflow. When it comes to interior, it’s basically full stainless steel and there are two racks and a cutlery basket. It holds up to six standard place settings, including plates up to 10.5” in diameter. The machine has seven wash cycles so you can choose how your dishes are cleaned.
The dishwasher is Energy Star rated and it uses only 2.85 gallons of water in normal wash cycles. It is fairly quiet at 52.3 dB, which is quieter than a normal conversation. It is Energy Star certified as well. This dishwasher also fits under most cabinets if you want to keep it out of the way.
- Ease of use
- Quick connect faucet adapter that fits most standard faucets
- Electronic controls and digital display
- Size fits under most cabinets
- Drain hose included
- Energy Star certification
- Cannot use detergent pods or tabs
Our rating: 4.5 / 5
4) Magic Chef Energy Star MCSCD6W5 Countertop Dishwasher
This model by Magic Chef is one of the best of the smallest dishwashers on the market.
It is 21.7 x 19.7 x 17.2 inches and it weighs 49.5 pounds. It is a countertop model that sits beautifully next to your sink. Magic Chef comes in white exterior with a stainless steel interior, which matches any kitchen. The inlet and outlet hoses and quick connector are included.
This dishwasher has a detergent and rinse aid dispenser as well as electronic controls with digital display. It has six wash cycles and up to a 24-hour delay start. It’s also Energy Star certified and it has indicator lights to let you know what part of the cycle it is on. Lastly, it will hold up to six place settings.
- Universal faucet quick connect
- Detergent and rinse aid dispensers
- Push-button electronic controls
- Energy Star rating
- Some users say that they need an additional adapter to connect to the faucet
Our rating: 4.4 / 5
5) SPT SD-2225DS Countertop Dishwasher
When you look at compact dishwashers, this countertop model by SPT is one of the best.
It is 21.6 x 19.7 x 17.2 inches and it weighs 43 pounds. It sits on your countertop and it will wash your dishes well. The exterior color silver and it will tie in with most kitchen décor. Also, it comes with a dishwasher drain hose, an inlet hose, and a universal faucet adapter and quick connect to easily connect to most kitchen faucets.
The electronic controls with an LED display are on the top front and it has six wash cycles including normal, heavy, ECO, glass, speed, and rinse. It has a delay start feature that allows you to delay the start by two, four, six, or eight hours. It is Energy Star certified.
SPD SD-2225DS has a capacity of up to six standard place settings and it is 55 dB, which is not terribly loud for a countertop unit (normal conversation noise level is about 60 dB). Consumers find this countertop dishwasher to be the perfect solution in smaller kitchens or when renting.
- Six wash cycles and two-, four-, six-, or eight-hour delayed start
- Electronic controls and LED display
- Compact dishwasher that fits on countertop
- Necessary hoses included
- Universal faucet adapter and quick connect
- Several customers mentioned that it doesn’t dry dishes well
Our rating: 4.3 / 5
6) SD-9254SS: Energy Star 18-in Built-In Dishwasher
This 18-inch dishwasher by SPT is another great model.
It is a built-in model with a top mount and it measures 17.6 x 22.6 x 32.4 inches and weighs 54 pounds. It is stainless steel with a stainless steel tub and it will fit into most kitchens that have space for it. The front controls are easy to read and it does a great job of cleaning dishes.
This dishwasher has two racks and a capacity of eight place settings. There are six different cycles, including a special heating function during the dry cycle. The wash programs include normal, heavy, energy, glass, quick, and rinse. You can set it for a delayed start as well.
This small dishwasher is fairly quiet at 52 dB and it is Energy Star certified. It has two spray arms for complete cleaning and automatic dispensers for detergent and a rinse agent. This is a great small dishwasher.
- Automatic dispenser for detergent and rinse agent
- Drain tube and mounting brackets included
- One-year limited warranty
- Energy Star certification
- New heated dry for extra dry dishes
- People find instructions confusing
- There are only two racks
Our rating: 4.2 / 5
When you are looking for the best small dishwasher, you have a lot of choices. There are 18” built-ins, 18” portables, and countertop models. They are normally energy-efficient and they do a good job of cleaning. The more compact dishwashers will fit on the counter next to your sink. If you are living in a rental or have a small kitchen without a lot of room, a portable or countertop model will work well. They hold between six and eight place settings, which is more than enough space for most small families.
Most of these smallest dishwashers can do everything that a standard dishwasher can do but they hold fewer dishes and take up less space. They come in various designs and colors. You will be able to find the perfect one for your kitchen.
Users also searched for: