If you have ever wondered what an electric space heater can or cannot do, you’ve landed in the right place. Here we will be debunking common myths and misconceptions about these little devices, so prepare to be shocked (or not).
Electric Heaters: Your New Best Friend
In case you have no idea what an electric heater is, it’s time for a quick rundown. Simply put, electric heaters are a type of heating appliance that uses electricity to generate warmth. Who would have thought, right?
These heating devices come in various shapes, sizes, and styles – from portable models to fancy wall-mounted units. And they’re so versatile, you’ll wonder how you ever survived without them.
There are also several types of electric space heaters, ranging from infrared units to oil-filled radiator heaters.
Now, let’s dive into the myths and misconceptions that have tarnished the good name of electric heaters.
Myth: Electric Heaters Can’t Keep You Warm
Mythbuster #1: Electric heaters are more than capable of keeping you warm. I know, I know. It’s hard to believe that these little machines can keep you toasty, especially when your trusty fireplace has been doing the job since the dawn of time. But electric heaters have come a long way, and they’ve got some tricks up their sleeves.
Advantages of electric heaters include:
- Instant heat: With electric heaters, you don’t have to wait for the room to heat up gradually. It’s like having your own personal sun, ready to shine at the flick of a switch.
- Efficient heating: They convert almost all of the electrical energy into heat, which means you’ll get more bang for your buck.
- Targeted heating: Electric heaters allow you to heat a specific area in a room, so you don’t waste energy heating your entire home.
Now as I have mentioned earlier, the heating power differs drastically from type to type and even from model to model, but it is well-known that even the most compact electric heaters can keep you pretty warm. I mean, 1500 watts is 1500 watts, right?
Myth: Electric Heaters Are Expensive
Mythbuster #2: Electric heaters can actually save you money. I can already hear the collective gasp of disbelief. But it’s true. While the initial cost of an electric heater may be higher than a traditional heating system, the long-term savings are worth it.
Here’s the lowdown on electric heater expenses:
- Lower installation costs: You won’t need a degree in engineering to install an electric heater. Just plug it in and watch the magic happen.
- Lower maintenance costs: With fewer moving parts and no need for fuel, electric heaters are less likely to break down. Plus, you can say goodbye to those pesky furnace maintenance fees.
- *Energy efficiency: As mentioned earlier, electric heaters convert almost all of their energy into heat. This means that they’re more energy-efficient than traditional heating systems, which can lose energy through heat exchange processes.
So, the next time someone tries to tell you that electric heaters are expensive, you can laugh in their face – and then educate them with your newfound knowledge.
*Note: Regarding the energy efficiency, it also varies from type to type and model to model, but generally, you can expect a range of 600W to 2500W. Most electric space heaters have two settings, one of which is 1500W – this is an industry-standard.
Conclusion: Embrace the Future
Congratulations, you’ve made it to the very end. These are the most common myths and misconceptions about electric space heaters. Now you one that one type is not like the other and that it can save you a lot of money when compared to other heating sources.
Now whether you wish to get yourself an electric space heater is totally up to you, however, if you do want one, I would highly recommend checking our electric heater types article linked above, so you know which one suits your needs the best.