An air fryer is without a doubt one of the best kitchen inventions of humankind. If you are going to argue about this, don’t. Air-frying has proven to be much healthier than deep-frying and more and more people are turning to these machines. But what should you do when your air fryer doesn’t turn on all of a sudden?
Fear not, for that is the reason why this article was created. Here we will discuss the most common air fryer issues and how to troubleshoot them properly.
5 Air Fryer Issues and How to Deal with Them
Naturally, your air fryer can be damaged because of hundreds of different reasons, but here are the 5 most common ones and how to deal with them properly.
My Air Fryer Won’t Turn On!
Have you tried turning it off and on again? Possibly the most common reply from an average IT guy. It’s funny how often that works though.
The classic “my appliance won’t start” conundrum. Before you panic, let’s try a few basic fixes.
- Step 1: Is it plugged in? Yes, we know it’s obvious, but sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.
- Step 2: Check the outlet. Maybe your air fryer isn’t the problem – try plugging something else into the outlet to see if it’s getting power.
- Step 3: Consult your air fryer’s manual for any specific troubleshooting tips or safety features that might be preventing it from starting. If all else fails, it might be time to contact customer support or consider a replacement.
I know step 3 might sound like an obvious thing to do, however, each air fryer is made differently and manufacturer often knows best how to troubleshoot their own creation.
My Food Isn’t Crispy Enough
There is not enough crispiness in the world, no doubt about that. You bought an air fryer for crispy deliciousness, right? Let’s make sure you get it.
- Step 1: Don’t overcrowd the basket. Your air fryer needs space to work its magic. Give your food some breathing room.
- Step 2: Make sure your food is dry. Excess moisture can lead to soggy results. Pat your food dry with a paper towel before air frying.
- Step 3: Give your food a light coating of oil. A little oil can go a long way in achieving that perfect crispy texture.
My Air Fryer Is Smoking
Before you panic, let me point out that it’s completely normal that your air fryer is smoking. With that being said, if it produces enough smoke to make the entire kitchen invisible, there’s probably something wrong with it.
- Step 1: Check for excess oil or grease. A buildup of oil or grease in the air fryer can lead to smoking. Make sure to clean your air fryer regularly to avoid this issue.
- Step 2: Is it actually steam? Sometimes, it’s just steam escaping from your air fryer, not smoke. If it’s steam, carry on and enjoy your healthy, delicious meal.
Note: It’s normal if your air fryer creates grease. This is most common for small air fryers and their limited basket area, but if it’s within limits, just clean it properly and you are good to go.
My Air Fryer Has a Strange Smell
Let me guess, you didn’t clean your air fryer properly after the last meal… you naughty, naughty! Well, nobody wants their kitchen to smell like a burnt mess. Let’s find the source of that odor.
- Step 1: Clean your air fryer. A thorough cleaning can often resolve any mysterious smells. Make sure to remove and clean the basket, tray, and heating element.
- Step 2: Check for any burnt-on residue. Sometimes, a small bit of food can get stuck and cause an unpleasant aroma. Remove any lingering debris.
- Step 3: If it’s a new air fryer, run it empty for a cycle or two. Sometimes, new appliances need a little “break-in” period to get rid of any manufacturing smells.
My Food Is Cooking Unevenly
The good news is that if your food is cooking unevenly, it’s not a technical fault of your air fryer. And of course, you deserve evenly cooked food, and we’re here to help you achieve that.
- Step 1: Shake or flip your food halfway through the cooking process. This helps ensure even cooking and crisping.
- Step 2: Make sure the air fryer is preheated. Just like a traditional oven, your air fryer needs a few minutes to warm up.
- Step 3: Ensure your food is evenly sized and spaced. Uniformity is the key to consistent results.
Now these are the most common air fryer issues (in my opinion) and tips on how to fix them properly. If you run into some other issue and found out how to fix it, leave a comment below.
I hope the article was somewhat helpful and that you’ve found the answer to your problem.
With that being said, happy air-frying!