If you have an air fryer in your household, it’s probably the classic one with a basket. This type dominates most households simply because they are compact, easy to clean, and work perfectly. However, basket-style air fryers are not the only ones available on the market.
Air Fryer Types
In this article, we will take a closer look at three types of air fryers, – basket, oven, and halogen – and look at some pros and cons of each, so you can decide which one is the best for your home.
1) Basket Air Fryers: The OG of Crispy Goodness
The basket air fryer is the classic, the original, the one that started it all. It’s basically the Beatles of air fryers, if you will. These bad boys use rapid air technology to circulate hot air around your food. Here’s the rundown:
- Compact: The basket air fryer has a small footprint, making it perfect for tiny kitchens or people who already have way too many kitchen gadgets (guilty as charged).
- Easy to clean: Most models have dishwasher-safe parts, which means less time scrubbing and more time enjoying your crispy treats.
- Budget-friendly: You can snag one of these for a relatively low price, leaving you more money to spend on all the food you’re going to air fry.
- Limited capacity: These air fryers aren’t ideal for large families or entertaining unless you’re okay with cooking in batches. “Hang on, guys, the next batch of fries will be ready in 20 minutes!” said no one ever.
- Shaking required: You’ll need to shake your food halfway through the cooking process, which can be annoying if you’re a “set it and forget it” kind of person.
2) Oven-Style Air Fryers: Because Regular Ovens Are So Last Year
Oven-style air fryers are like a combination of a toaster oven and an air fryer. They’re for people who can’t commit to just one appliance.
Sounds kind of weird, right? I mean, what’s next, a blender that doubles as a vacuum cleaner? Anyway, here’s the scoop on oven-style air fryers:
- Versatility: You can use these as a regular toaster oven, too, so it’s like getting two appliances for the price of one. Score!
- Larger capacity: These models can handle more food at once, so you can invite all your friends over for air-fried delights without making them wait for hours.
- Multiple racks: Oven-style air fryers often have multiple racks, allowing you to cook different types of food simultaneously. You can finally live out your dreams of being a multitasking culinary master.
- Size: These babies can be quite large, so you’ll need to sacrifice some precious counter space. But hey, who needs all that space for meal prep anyway?
- Price: Oven-style air fryers tend to be pricier than their basket counterparts. But remember, you’re basically getting a two-in-one appliance, so it’s worth it (right?).
3) Halogen Air Fryers: Let There Be Light (And Fried Food)
The lesser-known cousin of the air fryer family, halogen air fryers use a halogen bulb to heat your food. They’re like the mysterious and intriguing character in a romantic novel. Here’s what you need to know:
- Faster cooking: Halogen air fryers can cook your food more quickly than the other types. Because who has time to wait for food these days? We’ve got Netflix shows to binge, people!
- Transparent bowl: Many models have a see-through bowl, so you can watch your food cook in real-time. It’s like having a front-row seat to the greatest culinary show on Earth.
- Size: Similar to oven-style air fryers, these can be bulky. But, if you’re already committing to an air fryer, why not go big or go home?
- Price: Halogen air fryers are often more expensive than basket models. But you can’t put a price on being able to watch your food cook, can you?
- Bulb replacement: The halogen bulb may need replacing over time, which can be an added expense and hassle. But hey, nothing lasts forever, right?
There you have it. While I know for a fact that most of you will settle for the classic basket-style air fryer (I know I did), I felt obligated to list its technological alternatives and compare pros and cons of each.
Now that you know what are you getting into, make your choice with ease of mind.